Did you know that dermatologists recommend cleaning your makeup brushes every week? Personally, I hate the chemicals and fragrances that abound in many of the commercial products. So, I created my very own 5-Step DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner.
After all, anyone who wears makeup knows how important it is to use a clean makeup brush. From providing better application to preventing the breakouts that can happen from using a dirty brush, keeping your makeup brush clean is super important.
But those harsh-smelling chemicals can be so off-putting—not to mention that many can actually cause your skin to break out! I know I was tired of dealing with it—and I bet you are, too!
So, take a quick look at what makes my simple 5-Step DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner different and then take 10 minutes to whip up a batch of your own!
First, there are only three ingredients in this DIY makeup brush cleaner recipe. Why? Because simpler is better! We’re avoiding harsh chemicals and sticking with the basics here. And, as a result, this cleaner only includes witch hazel, olive oil, and castile soap—with each ingredient serving a specific function.
For example, did you know that witch hazel has many healing properties? From soothing inflammation to fighting acne to even fighting the virus that prevents those nasty cold sores, witch hazel is an amazing ingredient that makes this DIY makeup brush cleaner safe for your makeup brushes.
Think about it: How many times have you had to toss a makeup tool because of a cold sore outbreak? Well, studies have shown that witch hazel not only helps to dry out cold sores but even inhibits the activity of the virus that causes them! 
Witch hazel has also been known to fight acne, thanks to its astringent properties. 
Meanwhile, the olive oil in this recipe also wards off acne, thanks to its anti-microbial properties. Plus, it’s rich in vitamins A and E, which have been shown to fight the bacteria that causes acne. 
Finally, the castile soap is a non-toxic soap usually made from olive oil (though it can be made from other oils, such as coconut oil or avocado oil) that’s known to be great for people with sensitive skin. In fact, many people with eczema report using castile soap with success!
So, as you can see, this 5-Step DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner may be just the ticket to keep your face fresh and breakout-free! Keep reading for the quick and simple recipe.
Time: 10 minutes
Makes: About ¼ cup
¼ cup witch hazel
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unscented castile soap
1. In a small bowl, gently whisk the witch hazel with the olive oil and castile soap until combined.
2. Hold the brush bristles at a downward angle and immerse the bristles into the cleaning solution, turning to coat. Allow to soak for 5 minutes.
3. Remove the brush from the cleaning solution. Allow any excess to drip away. Gently swipe the brush back and forth on a clean towel.
4. Rinse the brush under lukewarm running water until the water runs clear. Repeat the process, if necessary, until the brush is clean.
5. Lay brush flat on the counter with the bristles hanging over the edge to air dry. Alternatively, lay brush flat on a clean towel to dry, rotating occasionally.