I always try to serve a lasagna with my holiday meals—and this year is no exception. So, I decided to try my hand at this Vegan Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna recently, and it did NOT disappoint!
If you're looking for a delicious dish to offer for the holidays this year, this is the one to make!
For this pumpkin and kale lasagna recipe, I included vegan cheese in the ingredients but should note that I actually prefer homemade nut-based cheeses, as they provide more nutritional value.
If you find that you’d like to avoid pre-made vegan cheese, you can find an alternative here with my cashew cream sauce.
Now, let’s talk about the nutritious foods in this recipe! As noted in the name, this Vegan Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna features two incredible sources of nutrients: pumpkin and kale!
As we’ve discussed before, pumpkin is rich in beta-carotene—an antioxidant that produces the red or orange pigment in certain plant-based foods.
Your liver then converts the beta-carotene you consume into vitamin A. And vitamin A is linked to everything from improved immune health to better eye health and vision to even improved memory!
In fact, studies have shown that a deficiency in vitamin A actually impairs your natural immunity by blocking the normal regeneration of your mucosal barriers.  That makes beta-carotene consumption even more important.
Additionally, the kale in this Vegan Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna has actually been called the most nutritious food on earth. Also high in beta-carotene, kale serves as a rich source of fiber along with vitamins C and K. 
As a result, kale is known to fight inflammation, rid your body of harmful toxins, and help prevent many chronic diseases.
Ready to serve up a holiday dish you can feel confident about? With its rich nutrient offerings and incredible taste, this Vegan Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna is guaranteed to be a show stopper for your holiday this year!
Serves: 4 to 6
Time: 55 minutes
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
15 ounces unsweetened tomato sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
½ cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the ricotta:
8 ounces vegan ricotta
¼ cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the assembly:
8 ounces pumpkin, peeled and seeded
6 sheets ready-to-bake vegan gluten-free lasagna noodles
6 ounces kale, roughly chopped
5 ounces vegan mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For the sauce: In a pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, or until fragrant and golden. Add the tomato sauce, balsamic, pumpkin, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat.
3. For the ricotta: In a mixing bowl, combine the vegan ricotta, pumpkin puree, chopped sage, sunflower seeds, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. For the assembly: With a grate or food processor, shred the pumpkin.
5. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the sauce into a loaf pan and spread into an even layer. Place 2 sheets of lasagna to cover the bottom of the pan. Top with half of the kale and half of the pumpkin. Top with one-third of the sauce.
6. Top with half of the ricotta and spread into an even layer. Repeat to make 2 layers.
7. Top the lasagna with the remaining 2 lasagna noodles, remaining sauce, and vegan mozzarella.
8. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until bubbling and lightly golden. Serve and enjoy!