Sometimes you’re in the mood for a rich, savory dish … and sometimes you want something light and refreshing but still flavorful. Nothing screams light, refreshing, and flavorful like a caesar salad. But caesar dressing is full of inflammatory dairy. So, I created this amazing Vegan Kale Caesar Salad to satisfy those cravings without the digestive discomfort that so many face thanks to a dairy intolerance.
This Vegan Kale Caesar Salad is rich in both nutrients and flavor. I used kale as the base of the salad due to its many health-promoting properties. First, kale is a cruciferous vegetable and has been shown to help slow age-related cognitive decline. [1, 2, 3] Moreover, cruciferous vegetables are excellent sources of vitamins A, C, and K. They also contain minerals such as folate and phytonutrients, which help lower inflammation and, in turn, help prevent harmful diseases.
Additionally, kale and other cruciferous vegetables account for more of the top foods for detoxifying your liver. In fact, studies have shown that isothiocyanates (small molecules derived from the glucosinolates, or sulfur-containing compounds, found in kale and other cruciferous vegetables) increase the detoxification of carcinogens in the body. This means that kale can actually help to regulate the detoxification activities in your cells! 
Finally, kale also has a high concentration of chlorophyll. And it’s well-documented that chlorophyll can purify your blood as well as assist with liver function in both humans and animals. 
In addition to kale, this Vegan Kale Caesar Salad also features the healthy fat of avocados, the filling fiber of sweet potatoes, and even the energy-boosting protein of chickpeas! So, take a peek at the recipe below and give it a try. I guarantee you’ll never revert to your old caesar salad again!
Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon himilayan sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Vegan Parmesan (optional):
3 tablespoons hemp seeds
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon Himilayan pink salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2-3 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup water
1 large bunch (about 8 cups) dinosaur kale, washed, stems removed, and chopped
1 Hass avocado, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. On a baking sheet, place the salad filling ingredients, and toss to combine. Bake for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the vegan parmesan ingredients, if using, and blend until the mixture is crumbly.
4. In a high-speed blender, put the dressing ingredients and blend on high until well-combined.
5. Chop the kale and place in a bowl. Add the vegan parmesan, if using, and drizzle with the dressing.
6. Toss together, and serve with the sliced avocado and any desired add-ons.
Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp himilayan sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Vegan Parmesan (optional)
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Himilayan pink salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tbsp Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large bunch (about 8 cups) dinosaur kale, washed, stems removed, and chopped
- 1 Hass avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet, place the salad filling ingredients, and toss to combine. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the vegan parmesan ingredients, if using, and blend until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a high-speed blender, put the dressing ingredients and blend on high until well-combined.
- Chop the kale and place in a bowl. Add the vegan parmesan, if using, and drizzle with the dressing.
- Toss together, and serve with the sliced avocado and any desired add-ons.