It’s summertime, which means many people are wanting to look their best as they venture out in their swimsuits. So, many are engaging their core with demanding ab workouts in hopes of getting toned midsections.
But ab workouts don’t have to be hard or complicated. They can be simple, straightforward, and effective—and fun!
Ready to learn how to do some of the best ab workouts that will get you results? Keep reading to get my top exercises for your abs!
The Top 4 Ab Workouts to Try
Here are the top four ab workouts you should add to your exercise routine today for a toned midsection.
1. Reverse Crunch
The first exercise in my list of top ab workouts is the reverse crunch, and here’s why: The reverse crunch works the rectus abdominis (also known as a “six-pack”). It’s the area of the stomach most people picture when they do ab workouts.
To do the reverse crunch, follow these steps:
- Begin by lying on your back with your feet up in the air and your knees bent so that your calves are parallel to the floor.
- Exhale and use your abs to bring your knees closer to your chest, which will cause your hips to rise off of the floor. Make sure to keep your back, neck, and head on the floor.
- Inhale as you return to your starting position.
- Repeat this exercise 10 times for one set, and do up to three sets to start, depending on your current fitness level. Adjust as needed.
The next exercise in this list of top ab workouts is the plank, which is a well-known effective yoga-based exercise for your core. But studies have also shown that the plank is incredibly effective at working abdominal muscles, as well. 
In addition to your abs, the plank will also work your arms, back, and spine.
To do the plank, follow these steps:
- Begin by getting to the high point of a pushup. Keep your back straight while engaging your core. Look down at the floor to keep your neck in line with your spine.
- Stay in this position for at least 10 seconds and for up to 30 seconds, if you’re a beginner. Those who are more advanced can hold the plank for a full minute or slightly longer and/or even rock side to side.
- Begin with one plank but you can work up to three sets of one-minute planks. Remember, too, that longer you stay in the proper plank position, the more it’s working out your muscles!
3. Russian Twist
The Russian twist isn’t another form of the twist dance; instead, it’s actually one of the most incredibly effective ab workouts you can do! It’s great for working your abs, obliques, hip flexors, shoulders, and upper back.
To do the Russian twist, follow these steps:
- Sit down with your back a 45-degree angle. Bend your knees and raise your feet slightly off the floor. If you find that you need more stability, cross your ankles.
- Clasp your hands together over your stomach and then twist your hands to your left side so that your left elbow almost touches the floor. Twist back to your right so that your right elbow almost touches the floor. That’s one rep.
- Do two to three sets of 10 reps.
4. Flutter Kicks
Finally, the last exercise in my list of must-try ab workouts is a move known as flutter kicks. They work the lower abs, glutes, hip flexors, and quads, making them great for your entire lower body!
To do the flutter kicks, follow these steps:
- Lie down on the floor and place your hands under your rear.
- Keep your legs straight and raise your feet a few inches off the floor.
- Raise your left leg a little and then lower back to the starting position as your raise your right leg. Continue for anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds, depending on your abilities.