If you’re in the mood for something filling, flavorful, and crunchy, you’re going to love these Guacamole-Filled Homemade Tostadas. And if you haven’t had tostadas before, you’re in for a treat.
Did you know that tostada means “toasted” in Spanish? So, a tostada is a toasted or fried tortilla topped with your favorite Mexican cuisine fillings, such as refried beans, black beans, tomatoes, and arguably the most popular Mexican dish—guacamole!
As you can imagine, this dish can get messy, but that’s what makes it fun. But as with every dish you’ll find on this site, it has some great health components, starting with the guacamole.
Aside from the tortilla base, the featured ingredient in these homemade tostadas is avocado. Not only is avocado a great source of fiber, vitamins (such as the very important B vitamins that help support your stress response), and minerals, but it also supports your body’s ability to absorb other nutrients you consume! How incredible is that?
Specifically, avocados have been found to support your body’s absorption of beta-carotene, which is found in the tomatoes featured in guacamole! This is important because, as we’ve discussed before, beta-carotene is converted into vitamin A in your body. And vitamin A features a host of benefits, including supporting your immune system. 
But that’s not all these Guacamole-Filled Homemade Tostadas have to offer. In fact, the onion featured in the guacamole contains its own benefits. Studies have shown that eating onions can help support bone health, aid digestion, and even support healthy blood sugar levels.
For example, a 2010 study revealed that eating 100 grams of onions reduced fasting blood sugar levels by 89 mg/dl in people with type 1 diabetes. Moreover, eating the same amount of onions reduced fasting blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes by 40 mg/dl. 
As you can see, with this health-promoting dish, you get many nutritional benefits as well as amazing flavor. So, let’s dive in and get cooking. You’re only 20 minutes away from a meal you’re guaranteed to love!
Guacamole-Filled Homemade Tostadas
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
4 ripe avocados
⅓ small onion, finely diced
2 roma tomatoes, finely diced
¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of ½ lime
Pinch of sea salt
¼ teaspoon cumin
6-8 sprouted corn tortillas, almond flour tortillas, or cassava flour tortillas
Avocado oil cooking spray or coconut oil cooking spray (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the guacamole ingredients and mix well. Put in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. On a large baking sheet, place the tortillas. Spray them with the cooking spray.
4. Bake for 3-5 minutes, remove, flip the tortillas, and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.
5. Add the guacamole to the tostada, then add the toppings.
6. Top with the dressing, serve, and enjoy!
Guacamole-Filled Homemade Tostadas
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1/3 small onion, finely diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of ½ lime
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 6-8 sprouted corn tortillas, almond flour tortillas, or cassava flour tortillas
- Avocado oil cooking spray or coconut oil cooking spray (optional)
- Refried beans
- Black beans
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickled onions
- Cilantro dressing
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all the guacamole ingredients and mix well. Put in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- On a large baking sheet, place the tortillas. Spray them with the cooking spray.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes, remove, flip the tortillas, and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add the guacamole to the tostada, then add the toppings.
- Top with the dressing, serve, and enjoy!