If you haven’t heard of the hygge lifestyle, you’re in for a treat!
A popular Danish lifestyle practice, hygge (pronounced hoo-ga) is all about enjoying the simple things in life and feeling cozy and content by surrounding yourself with comfortable, calming elements.
Sounds amazing, right? I thought so … and decided to look into it further. And I’m so glad I did!
Take a few minutes to read through this article learn what hygge is, discover the important how-to elements, and then set aside some time for yourself this weekend to give it a try.
The perk? You’ll get to enjoy all the de-stressing health benefits you’re guaranteed to get. Here’s to a more relaxed, happier you!
What is a Hygge Lifestyle?
Let’s jump right in! Wondering what a hygge lifestyle is? It’s actually pretty simple: A hygge lifestyle is actively choosing to indulge in the simpler things in life—the things that naturally slow you down and calm you—by surrounding yourself with a comforting, cozy environment.
Yep—that means you get to surround yourself with all your favorite things—minus those electronic devices! And that’s because your smartphone has been shown to only add to your stress.
The hygge lifestyle is all about unplugging—from work, from toxic relationships, from unrealistic demands and expectations, from stress and anxiety as a whole!
Imagine a day where you can just “be”—just breath, relax, curl up with your favorite book by a roaring fire, or maybe even nap or bake some cookies.
Sounds like a dream right?
Well, that’s because the unfortunate truth is that we’re constantly on the go. And, frankly, we’re the most stressed nation as a result. As a reminder, here’s a look at how chronic stress is impacting the health of our nation today: 
- Approximately 120,000 deaths each year are attributed to work-related stress.
- 77 percent of Americans regularly experience physical symptoms due to stress.
- 63 percent of workers are ready to quit their jobs due to stress.
- 57 percent of those who regularly feel stressed say they’re paralyzed by stress.
- 50 percent of Americans regularly lie awake at night due to stress.
The result of all this chronic stress? It’s estimated that more than 80 percent of Americans are suffering from adrenal fatigue, which only increases our odds of developing other chronic diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity, cancer, and more.
Conversely, surveys have shown that only 11.4 percent of Danish people who work feel stressed on a regular basis.  And it really isn’t surprising, considering the hygge lifestyle has been a defining feature of Danish culture since the 1800s.
Clearly, Danish people prioritize relaxation, comfort, and rest. So, how can you partake in the hygge lifestyle? Keep reading for some specific tips.
How to Enjoy a Hygge Lifestyle
Now that you know all about what a hygge lifestyle is about and why it could be a great practice to incorporate into your efforts to de-stress, let’s look at some of the must-haves for creating a hygge home.
After all, home is where the heart is, and it’s the very best place to let go off the worries of the world and snuggle in for relaxation time.
5 Must-Haves for a Hygge Home
Because the concept of hygge is all about enjoying the small, comforting things in life, Danish people tend to describe the hygge lifestyle as being all about relaxing and feeling safe and secure.
This includes relaxing in warm and cozy clothes (like sweatpants), turning off harsh fluorescent lighting and instead enjoying the relaxing benefits of soft lighting, grabbing a warm drink, and either socializing with friends or enjoying soft music or a calming book.
So, to create the ultimate hygge environment, I recommend including the following components:
1. Candles (preferably unscented)
2. Calming essential oils and diffuser (such as lavender, chamomile, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, ylang ylang, etc.)
3. Relaxing books
4. Warm, soft blankets
5. Cozy chair or sofa
Choose the least stimulating area of your home and take a few minutes to set it up. When you’re done, you should have a nice, relaxing environment.
Turn off any and all electronic devices and either take some quiet time for yourself or spend it with those you love most by enjoying quiet conversation or maybe even working on a relaxing puzzle.
I recommend taking a few hours each week to practice the hygge lifestyle. Before you know it, you’ll begin to feel some of your stress melt away, which will leave you more rested, relaxed, and ready to take on the rest of your week!
- A popular Danish lifestyle practice, hygge (pronounced hoo-ga) is all about enjoying the simple things in life and feeling cozy and content by surrounding yourself with comfortable, calming elements.
- A hygge lifestyle is actively choosing to indulge in the simpler things in life—the things that naturally slow you down and calm you—by surrounding yourself with a comforting, cozy environment.
- The hygge lifestyle is all about unplugging—from work, from toxic relationships, from unrealistic demands and expectations, from stress and anxiety as a whole! And that’s important now that Americans are experiencing incredibly high levels of stress.
- With 77 percent of Americans regularly experiencing physical symptoms due to stress and only 11.4 percent of Danes experiencing usual stress, adopting a hygge lifestyle may be just the ticket.
- Danish people tend to describe the hygge lifestyle as being all about relaxing and feeling safe and secure. Some of the best ways to set up your home for a hygge experience include the following components: candles, calming essential oils and a diffuser, relaxing books, warm and soft blankets, and a cozy chair or sofa.
- Try to practice the hygge lifestyle at least once each week to help mitigate the effects of stress.
Sign Up Here For Your FREE Copy:
Dr. Pingel's Ultimate Beauty Recipes
Thank you! Keep an eye out for an email with link to download your free gift!